Sunday, May 04, 2008

The story of Stephen and I

Stephen and I worked at Sonic in Carthage for 4-5 months before we ever spoke. I approached him first. My brother and Stephen were both cooks there. Every time I looked in the kitchen they looked like they were going to kill each other and I couldn't stand it. So I asked my brother what was going on and he said he had no idea, Stephen just couldn't stand him. So one day I asked Stephen. I remember my exact words. I said "What is your problem with my brother?" He just looked at me and I said "Every time I look back there you guys look like you are going to kill each other." He said to me "He reminds me of a guy I went to school with that I couldn't stand." That was all there was to it. A couple days later all of Sonics employees had to be up there before they opened for a meeting. I was sitting in the car with my brother and Stephen walked by. Before I realized I had spoken out loud I said something to the effect of "holy shit." Stephen was wearing blue jean shorts a black tee shirt and a short sleeved two toned grey button up shirt, this was before he cut his hair and he had his hair down. (It was just the back, the top and sides were short). I was completely blown away, I had never had a guy catch my attention like that. After that I started catching peeks at him in the kitchen any chance I got. I even watched him graduate, with out him knowing of course. My cousin was in his class and I was there to see her graduate. I watched Stephen walk across the stage and get his diploma, I remember being very proud of him and thinking how cute he was, by then he had already cut his hair off but he was still gorgeous. Sometime after that I don't remember exactly when my sister and I were sitting in bestway parking lot for some reason, and Stephen stopped to talk to us. I don't know how it happened but sometime after that Stephen and I started hanging out at bestway after work, and I would stay out until 2 or 3 in the morning with mom thinking I was at work. We eventually started walking from Bestway parking lot, down around walmart parking lot and then back to bestway and behind the store. One day we started holding hands, I don't remember when it happened but I remember having butterflies in my stomach every time we touched. On September 30th we had already walked our usual route and after awhile Stephen said "Lets walk around Bestway again." So we did and we held hand until we got behind the store then he put his arm around my waist. At some point we stopped to look up at the stars, and when I turned and looked up at him we kissed. I remember feeling like fireworks went off inside my body form head to toe! When we started to walk away he almost forgot his hat, it had fallen from his head when we kissed. I remember chuckling a little as I asked him if he was going to get it. The rest of the evening is a complete blur. The next day at school I remember my friend wanted to know why I kept smiling, by the time school let out I was scared to death that I wouldn't see Stephen that day or that I would see him and he would tell me the kiss was a mistake. When I did see him he looked so happy to see me that I was shocked, I couldn't believe this great and gorgeous guy actually wanted to be my boyfriend! We never actually discussed being boyfriend and girlfriend, we were just always together. I cant even remember when we started referring to each other that way. Early in our relationship he said I love you to me and I asked him not to say it yet. I really didn't mean to shoot him down, I was just scared he was just saying it and didn't mean it. I don't know exactly when I fell and love with him, but I do remember being sad every time he wasn't with me. I wont put in here the details about when we stared making love because I don't know exactly who reads this, but after the new year I was having to unbutton my blue jeans when I sat down. It never occurred to me that I might be pregnant. I don't know how long it would have been before I realized it if my friends hadn't stared questioning the fact I was unbuttoning my jeans. I cant remember how I told Stephen that my period was late but, in February 1998, a few days before valentines day Stephen and I met at the health department across from my school. He stayed in the waiting room while I went back to get the results from the test. The lady confirmed I was pregnant and told me I was 7 weeks along. She gave me some info, and vitamins and sent me on my way. I waited until we were outside to tell Stephen. I remember all I said was "I'm 7 weeks" and his response was "it takes 7 weeks to get the test back, we could got to walmart and know today" I said "no I am 7 weeks pregnant." He drove me across to the school, I cant remember if we talked about it then or not. I know when I got into school and I was crying my friends knew without me telling them. That afternoon Stephen picked me up from school and we went to my house. I decided we needed to tell our parents right away and Stephen went to my room and I sat on the couch, mom was in the recliner and I said "I went to the health department today," mom just looked at me and I said "I'm 7 weeks pregnant." Mom hit the roof, she called Stephen out to the front room and tore into him. I remember feeling so bad for him, and wishing I had asked him to go home before I told her. When dad came in and mom told him he just shook his head the way he always does and I cant remember what mom said but he said "What you think 40 is to young to be a grandmother?" Then he called Stephen outside to help him unload something out of the van. The next couple days are a blur, I remember mom telling me I needed to hurry up and turn 17 because I didn't sound as bad as telling people her 16 year old was pregnant. On valentines day when I got home there was a valentines present on the bed for me and one for Stephen, I think he actually came over that day. I think he moved in with me sometime between valentines day and my birthday. On March 10th on my birthday, we went out for dinner I think, I cant exactly remember but I remember before we left Stephen gave me a heart ring for my birthday, I had seen it at walmart and loved it. By the end of the evening I was a little disappointed because I thought for sure he was going to propose, and he didn't. When we got back to the house we were walking up on the porch and he acted like he tripped, when I turned to see if he was ok, he was down on one knee with an engagement ring and asked me to marry him! Of course I started crying and said yes. We decided to get married while I was on spring break, so we picked Saturday April 11th. Mom and dad had to go with us to see a judge and to get our marriage license, since I was 17. Our wedding was small but beautiful, we picked yellow and white as the colors. I really wanted yellow tulips because they are my favorite flower, but we couldn't even find fake ones so I got fake yellow roses. I got a simple white lacy dress from Sears. Jeannie was my maid of honor and Micheal (Stephens brother) was his best man. I was never nervous, it just felt so right. I remember me and mom got to the church at 10:00 and I had to stay in this small little room until 2:00. People could come in to see me but I was not allowed out! At the reception we had White Sparkling grape juice in the champagne type bottle, since we couldn't have alochol since I was pregnant and we were both underage. It was awful! Stephen, Micheal, Jeannie and I all choked on it! We went to Comfort in in Lebanon for the night as our honeymoon. We went to Shoneys for supper. When we went to walmart someone asked us if we were going to prom!
On April 25th we went to my junior prom. The place Stephen rented his tux from for our wedding was supposed to hold it for prom, well they held the wrong one and kept his brothers instead of his. We did not realize this until we got back to the house to get dressed and it was too late to do anything about it. Luckily dad had a suit in his closet that someone had gave him that fit Stephen. So he wore that. We rented a room at the same hotel for prom night. There are not many details I remember between April and September when Jade was born. I do remember we moved into a trailer to be on our own at some point, I was in summer school because I slept through Algebra 1, and Stephen was working at a factory in Gordonsville where he got hit by a car. He was running across the parking lot and some girl had dropped her boyfriend off and backed up without looking and hit Stephen. He never called me at school to tell me, since we lived past the hospital he waited until he saw my car go by and then called the house. I remember his words were something like "I don't want you to worry but I need you to pick me up at the hospital, I'll explain when you get here." I got upset that he didn't call me at school and tell me so I could have been with him. Sometime after that We moved into a house on dry fork rd. We lived there when Jade was born. I developed preeclampsia around my 4th month and was put on bed rest and a no salt no sodium diet, which was awful! I could barely eat anything! On September 15th I was told to come into the hospital at 5:00 to have a stress test done. So we got down there and they didn't know what we were talking about, so we went home. By the time we got home the nurse called and said they found my paperwork they needed me to come back. So we went back, I got hooked up to a machine where I could watch Jades heartbeat. They said they were giving me something to cause contractions and they said I was having them but I never felt them. Sometime around 8 Dr. Rutherford came in and said every time I had a contraction Jades heart rate dropped. He wanted to know if we were ready to have a baby. I of course started crying and said yes. I got a little scared at one point because the guy that gave me the spinal tap said Stephen couldn't come into the operating room with me, the nurse said she would be right back and left when she came back she said Dr. Rutherford said he could as long as he understood if he is asked to leave he must leave immediately. At 8:54 p.d Jade was born. She was absolutely beautiful!@ She had a head full of dark hair and was 5 pounds even and was 21 1/2 inches long!

To be continued.....(my butt is getting numb! lol

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed